Bar of the State of New York
Southern District of New York
Eastern District of New York US Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
Bar of England and Wales
LL.M., Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, New York
Bar Vocational Course, The Inns of Court School of Law, London
PGDL, City University, London
B.A. (Hons), University of Manchester
Awards and Honors
Super Lawyers – Rising Star 2015, 2016 2009 – Commencement Speaker, Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law
2009 – Distinguished Performance in the LL.M. Program
2008 – Dean’s Merit Scholarship, Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law
1998 – Ashe Lincoln Public Speaking Award, Inner Temple
Chair of Old Mancunians North America Director – British Schools and Universities Foundation
CJA 2003 ‘Bad Character, Hearsay & Disclosure’: Einstein Network (2005)
Domestic Violence and Familial Homicide: Legal Television Network (2005)
DNA analysis and interpretation: Einstein Network (2005)
Murder 101, HG Productions (2007)
Apple’s Battle is Doomed to Fail
Can Facebook Be A Form Of Child Abuse:
Hulk Hogan’s Heroic Privacy Stand:
Is Merrick Garland a Brave Enough Choice for the Supreme Court?
My Zipcar had a vial of coke in it
First Amendment Faith-Based Bullying
Gossip Ungagged: British Privacy Laws Fail in the Digital Age
Britain’s Anti-Semitism Isn’t Limited to the Radical Left
Beloved British Family Man Burned By Escort’s Breach of Contract
The Importance of Anonymity in the Wikileaks Era
Who Gives a Brexit?
The Royalty Gates: Rest in Peace or at Least Until the Sequel
Obama Commutes Manning’s Sentence in Final Snub to Justice System
In Libel Suit by Aleksej Gubarev, BuzzFeed and Ben Smith Face a Tough Road
Gorsuch Is Not Just a Safe Choice—He Is the Right Choice
Free Speech Is No Defense for Nick Cannon’s Rant on NBC
In a Country Where Nudity Has Never Been Taboo, Why Is Kate’s Chest Worth $1.6M?
Blasphemy Laws, Freedom of Speech & Stephen Fry
Inner Temple, London
New York City Bar Association
- Complex Business Litigation
- Commercial Arbitration
- Intellectual Property
- International Law
- Whistleblower Law
- Music & Film
Robert is the managing partner of Garson, Ségal, Steinmetz, Fladgate LLP. Litigation and pre-litigation strategy are the mainstays of Robert’s practice also drawing from his 16 years as a Barrister in the United Kingdom where he has acquired significant courtroom experience. Having established the firm in New York and represented a broad range of high-profile corporate and individual clients, Robert has become known for his fearless and robust style of litigation coupled with advanced trial strategies. As a result, Robert was selected as a Rising Star by Super Lawyers in 2015 in the field of International law. Robert has completed the training required by Part 146 of the Rules of the Chief Administrative Judge of the State of New York to serve as an ADR neutral (Mediator).
Recent engagements include:
- Obtained the largest award ever monetary award pursuant to the CFTC Whistleblower Reward Program. Together with Chris Fladgate has blazed a trail in the field, leading GS2Law to be the only law firm in the US to have received a multimillion dollar award for its client from the CFTC;
- Lead counsel for Lehman Brothers Whisky against Barclays Capital concerning the validity of the Lehman Brothers trademark;
- Enforcing the rights of a multinational licensee in an arbitration concerning the ongoing rights of a dead celebrity;
- Advising a world bank on a multi-million dollar software license dispute. (Cross border, arbitration according to New York law in a foreign jurisdiction) – together with Tim Kendal;
- Representing in a multimillion dollar licensing arbitration for an international group of companies against a major fashion brand;
- Complex derivative actions involving multiple piercings of corporate veils;
- Leading the negotiation and completion of a multi-company merger and acquisition of vehicle software and hardware companies;
- Successful defense of a UK Worldwide freezing order and preclusion of its its application in the state of New York.
- Risk Assessments for live-streaming websites regarding secondary liability for copyright infringement;
- Platforming foreign technology companies into the United States;
- Defending multi-jurisdictional on-line and print defamation actions;
- Production counsel for various independent movies.
Robert appears regularly in federal and state courts in America and also before international arbitral bodies, primarily in complex commercial matters and intellectual property. He draws from deep experience in having litigated numerous multi-jurisdictional white-collar crime, narcotics and product liability trials in the trial and appeal courts of England and Wales and Caribbean. As a result, for the past seven years, Robert has been invited to instruct on cross- examination by the renowned ITAP program organized by the National Institute of Trial Advocacy at Cardozo.
Aside from his legal education, Robert speaks French and Hebrew, holds a degree in Ancient History and Archaeology from the University of Manchester, is Chair of the North American Chapter of the Old Mancunians (Alumni of The Manchester Grammar School) and is a director of the British Schools and Universities Foundation.