Yosef Shwedel, partner and head of GS2Law’s transactional practice, is based in Miami and focuses his practice on national and cross-border real estate, corporate and tax matters. His legal experience spans multiple jurisdictions, with over 15 years in practice both in Mexico and the United States.
Fluent in English, Spanish and Hebrew, Yosef serves as outside general counsel to many international companies and family offices doing business in the U.S., Mexico and Latin America. He regularly advises foreign and domestic clients on a broad range of activities, including, mergers and acquisitions, financing, joint ventures, securities, venture capital, real estate, tax planning and cross border transactions.
In addition to representing high net worth clients and family offices, Yosef has extensive experience representing clients in the following industries, among others: hospitality (both owners and operators), food and beverage, private equity, real estate, media, and technology.
Prior to becoming a founding partner in GS2Law’s Miami office, Yosef practiced at two of South Florida’s most prominent law firms.
- Universidad de las Americas (Mexico City – Law Degree)
- Cardozo Law School (LLM)
- University of Miami (JD)
- Loyola Law School (Tax LLC expected)
Admitted to Practice
- Mexico and Florida
- Northern District of Florida
Professional & Community Involvement
- Greater Miami Jewish Federation – Chair of the Campaign for the International Division, Member of Israel and Overseas Committee and Ethiopian Initiative Committee, Member of Agency Support Committee
- Member of the National Young Leadership Cabinet of the Jewish Federations of North America
- American Bar Association – Member of the Tax Section
Awards & Honors
- Honored with the Young Leadership Award for the Greater Miami Jewish Federation in 2022.
In the News
- Mayweather vs. Paul: How a Miami Lawyer Helped Negotiate One of the Year’s Biggest Fights
- The Post-COVID Real Estate Market in South Florida: What Kinds of Deals are Leading the Way in 2022?
- Five Important U.S. Tax Considerations in Light of Upcoming and Proposed Changes
- Understanding FINCEN’s Final Beneficial Ownership Reporting Rule
- SB 264: Florida Restricts Foreign Ownership of Real Property
Capital Markets and Fund Formation
- Representation of a debt fund and property fund in connection with separate private placement fund offerings of limited liability company interest.
- Representation of real estate debt fund for the purpose of acquiring debt securities (including risk retention securities) in connection with commercial mortgage-backed securities offerings and other debt transactions. Advised client in creation of the fund and in the negotiation and closing of its subscription credit facility.
- Representation of real estate acquisition fund for the purpose of co-investing in the acquisition of hotels in the United States.
- Advised on formation of co-investment vehicles and offering of limited liability company interests of such co-investment vehicles for the purpose of investing in funds focused on the acquisition of hotel properties in the United States.
- Advised client in creation of opportunity and mezzanine fund and in the offering of the limited liability company interests of the fund to foreign investors.
General Corporate Matters
- Advised on the formation of a joint venture for a real estate investment and management firm to acquire a portfolio of commercial real estate assets.
- Prepared the joint venture and other agreements related to the structure for the ownership of the properties, including the formation of the joint venture with foreign investors. The inclusion of the foreign investors required understanding of the international impact and the nuances of foreign law.
- Representation of real estate acquisition fund for the purpose of investing in the acquisition of hotels in the United States.
- Represented client in buyout of the limited liability company interest of a majority partner an of hotel rooms wholesale company.
- Prepared and negotiated membership interest purchase agreement for the acquisition of 100% of the limited liability company interest of hotel owner.
- Represented client in acquisition of limited liability company interest in Israeli startup focused on water purification.
- Outside General council services to Israeli incubator.
Commercial and Intellectual Property Licensing
- Represented client in negotiation of exclusive license and distribution rights for the iRobot vacuum cleaner in Mexico.
- Advised clients in negotiation of exclusive license and distribution rights for the Beyond Meat products in Israel.
- Prepared form agreements for client in connection with broadcasting rights of international soccer tournaments.
- Represented Mexican hotel developers in connection with registration of trademarks in the United States.
- Represented Mexican manufacturer of sustainable disposable silverware in connection with registration of trademarks in the United States.
Real Estate and Finance
- Representation of real estate development group in obtaining a mezzanine loan totaling $20 million.
- Represented client in cleaning services industry in connection with a $20 million dollar loan for the buyout of minority partners.
- Representation of family office in obtaining a real estate acquisition loan totaling $45 million for the purchase of multifamily property in Texas.
- Representation of family office in acquisition of multifamily property in Texas.
- Represented lender in connection with $15 million mezzanine loan for hotel project in NYC. The transaction included negotiations with senior lender and agreeing on an inter-creditor agreement.
- Advised client with respect to implementation of a reverse 1031 exchange.
- Advised family office in negotiations of Tenancy in Common Agreements.
Selected International Matters
- Represent media company in promotion of major sporting events.
- Advised on formation of real estate investment tax-efficient structure for Chilean investors for investments in real estate and debt in the United States.
- Represent Israeli real estate investors in connection with real estate holdings in Mexico.
- Advised Mexican investors on corporate structures for executing real estate investments in the United States.
- Advised Israeli technology company in connection with entrance into the US market.
- Advised international Non-Profit in connection with general corporate governance and fund-raising matters.
Selected Tax Matters
- Counsel to Latin American investor on tax planning to enter the US market.
- Tax structuring of Media company in connection with licensing agreements with subsidiaries in the US and LATAM.
- Advised foreign investors with respect to FIRPTA exposure.
- Representation of Mexican real estate investment fund in structuring acquisitions of portfolio properties.
- Assisted Mexican commodities company with structuring of global operations to minimize on U.S. sourced income transactions.